Bed & Breakfast
Tel: +353 41 982 5592
Just one hour from Dublin, 10 minutes from
Kentstown, Navan is a modern and lively market town offering
visitors a wealth of attractions and activities in its hinterland.
For evening entertainment, the numerous pubs and good food
restaurants offer guests a warm, traditional welcome, ‘ceol
agus craic’ to patrons.
The town boasts several famous
off-spring such as Sir Francis Beaufort (1774-1857) an admiral
of the Royal Navy, who formulated the Beaufort Scale of wind
force. 007 Agent, James Bond, alas Pierce Brosnan, is perhaps
the most famous modern day ‘Navan man’.
The Hill of Tara, rising 300 feet
offers a panoramic view of the surrounding countryside. The
former ‘Seat of the High Kings of Ireland’ and
the prehistoric setting of royal feasts and assemblies is
now a National Monument and is open to the public throughout
On the hill, the ‘Lia Fail’,
the inauguration stone for the High Kings traditionally roared
when the new King was accepted.
In the nearby graveyard, St. Adamains’s Cross has a
fine example of the Sile na Gig (a pre-Christian fertility
symbol) carved in to the cross. In later times the patriot
Daniel O’Connell held one of the largest political rally
or ‘monster meetings’ at this site, with 1,000,000
Steeped in history of every vintage, the
charming village of Slane is centred on a cross roads which
is framed by four large Georgian houses. Slane is a veritable
melting port of Irish civilisation mixed with rural charm.
The Hill of Slane and Slane Abbey
situated just north of the village offer a superb view of
the Boyne Valley as sell as radiating the aura of a sacred
place. It was here St. Patrick lit the Paschal Fire of Christianity
that according to legend was seen throughout the country.
It is also the home of Slane Castle, which is
open to the public.
It re-opened for guided tours in 2001 after an extensive restoration
programme lasting a decade.
In its present form, the Castle dates from 1785
and is principally the work of James Gandon, James Wyatt and
Francis Johnston. Apart from being one of the most important
stately homes in Ireland, the building has been used as a
location for a number of well-known movies, and in 1984 for
the recording of ‘The Unforgettable Fire’ by U2.
Located 6 mile east of the village is the site
of the famous Battle of the Boyne. The battle was fought in
1690, but still has a lasting impact on Ireland’s people.
Over 300 years later the defeat of James II at the hands of
William of Orange still raises passions.
At Newgrange the Bru na Boinne Visitors Centre
is open throughout the year allowing the visitor to explore
life in Neolithic Ireland. Although less well know, the passage
graves at Knowth and Dowth can rival their most illustrious
Knowth is the largest in the Boyne
Valley and dates from circa 3,000 BC. Archaeological excavations
have shown the site was used from the Stone Age to the Normal
One of Ireland’s heritage towns, Trim
is situated on the River Boyne and is dominated by the medieval
Tri Castle, which was built by Hugh de Lacy in 1173. The largest
Norman castle in Europe, it is now restored and visitors can
access the 75ft square keep and grounds by guided tour. Sections
of the epic film ‘Braveheart’ were filmed here.
Kells or Ceanannas Mor, meaning ‘Great
Fort’, was known to be a royal residence before St.
Colmcille established a religious settlement in Kells in 550.
The monks from his community on
the Scottish island of Iona fled to kells in 806 in order
to escape savage Viking raids and it was here that they completed
their illuminated manuscript of the Four Gospels, the Book
of Kells. While the original is housed in Trinity College,
facsimile copies can be viewed in the Kells Heritage Centre
and in the Church of Ireland.
Meath has just 7 miles of coastline but in that short
stretch between the River Boyne and the River Delvin, visitors are
treated to a microcosm of coastal life, both cultural and physical.
Bettystown is one of the most favoured holiday destinations for
Irish people with the large sandy beaches and wide range of accommodation,
activities and of course the large sandy beaches on offer.
The so-called Tara Brooch of 700AD was found at Bettystown in 1850.
It is now kept in the Royal Academy Collection of the National Museum,
Dublin. The village of Mornington on the Boyne estuary was known
as Marinestown in the 13th Century. The Maiden Tower and the Lady's
Finger were built as watchtowers and navigational aids during the
long war with O'Neill when a Spanish invasion was feared.
This Church was built in 1841 and £200 was donated
by Sir William Somerville. The new chapel was first used on
the 10th July 1845. Fr. Thomas Lynch was priest at this time.
The Church was dedicated to Our Lady of the Assumption by Dr.
Cantwell on 19th October 1854.
Erected by Sir William Somerville, Bart 1855.
It was built and used for horses taking part in hunts in the
locality yet many people believe it was built to discourage
worship at the Trinity Well. Trinity Well, called "Tiobar na
Trionaide" situated on a steep hill close to Danestown Fort.
St. Patrick is said to have drank from this well on his way
to the Hill of Tara. The well was venerated on November 1st,
so this is thought to have been in honour of the Pagan rituals.
Christopher Plunket founded the Church. Sir James
Quayle Somerville Bart (who died in 1797) built the church.
The Ten Commandments are painted in gold and are sited inside
the porch entrance. On the balcony there are statues of the
Somerville Family. On a slab is carved a figure of a Knight:
an Effigy of Sr. Thomas Tuite. He wears a tight-fitting jupon.
A dagger hangs on his right hip. An inscription reads (translated)
"Here lies Thomas de Tuite, Knight, once Lord of Kentstown,
who died on 2nd June 1363". Inside the entrance gates are two
Cedar trees, which were planted on the 6th May 1935 by Lady
Athlumney and Miss Somerville to commemorate the 25th Jubilee
to King George V. It is a most beautiful church.
Across the road from St. Mary's Church of Ireland
is The Glebe, a five bay, two-story house over a basement, with
a hipped roof and central chimneystack. This was formally the
Rectory. The present owner is the Ambassador Baron Amadeo Gullet,
who fought in World War 1. He bought the house in 1965 and has
resided there since 90's. There are two beautiful fireplaces
by Bossi, which came from the Russell Hotel, now St. Stephen's
The Estate extended to 10,213 acres in 1883 and
included at one time the village of Athlumney, which is 6 miles
away. In the 1950's the Somerville Estate was broken into 6
farms wit fragments to neighbouring farmers.
The gardener's skills were tested not only by the management
of the kitchen garden, much of which was under glass to ensure
year round cropping, but also by a system of flower shows and
competitions at which he could measure his abilities against
those of his peers on other estates. Figs and vines grew on
the arched wall between the Rose Garden and the main garden.
Gardening in the 2nd half of the 19th century was a skilled
The River Nanny runs along the southern boundary
in an East-West direction and is spans by Flemingstown Bridge
on an abandoned section of the old Slane Road. The West Avenue
was once lined with ornamental Chestnut Trees, sadly now decayed,
and the estate contains two giant Redwood Trees. Sr. William
Somerville erected the arched entrance known as the Ivy Lodge,
Somerville's motto: "Crains Dieu Tant Owe Tu Viverasi
- Be Afraid of God so that you might live". Sir James Somerville
built this Georgian mansion. The mansions design is attributed
to the famous Irish architect, Morrison. It now belongs to Mr.
Joe McGrath, Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon, who retired in
1997. This is a listed house by the Government and is open to
the public by appointment only.
Somerville Lodge is also known as the Gate Lodge.
It was built around the same time at Somerville House. It had
3 rooms. A sitting room, small kitchen and small bathroom. Sir
William Somerville built it in 1750 and it housed many of the
staff that the Somerville Family employed during Aristocracy